Sunday, October 28, 2012

Travelling Light

As I briefly mentioned before, traveling light is a very important aspect when embarking on an overseas adventure.

First of all, you will most likely be taking a plane to get to wherever this new home will be. That means weight restrictions on your luggage from the very beginning.  Most airlines allow for one checked bags not exceeding 23 kilos.  It may seem like a lot of weight, enough weight, but when you have packed all your clothes, shoes, toiletries and other essential travel items, the weight adds up.  And extra weight costs a lot of money.
I am not a light packer, but I have learned to lessen the weight of my luggage from experiencing these exchange semesters.  When I went to France, for my first exchange semester and the first time I would be away from home for more than a couple weeks, I overloaded my suitcases.  I brought many pairs of shoes, at least three different coats, many pairs of long pants, some sweaters, etc.  I didn't even use half of the things I brought.  Many of the shoes weren't comfortable enough to wear walking long distances, so I couldn't wear them to walk to school or when I travelled or to go out at night.

Secondly, the less stuff you bring with you at the beginning, the more stuff you can bring back, like souvenirs and gifts for people back home.  When you are travelling and experiencing new things, you will want to bring back bits and pieces of these places home.

So pack light, bring only two pairs of pants, one sweater (warm), one jacket (preferably a rain coat), minimal toiletries (they can be bought once you get there), and comfortable shoes, ones that can be worn for long periods of time and not hurt your feet.  You might want to test that out before hand, because I had a pair of shoes that I thought would be ok, but turns out they made my feet incredibly sore and my ankles were swollen too.

No comments:

Post a Comment